Today, almost every Internet user encounters at least one with a VPN application. For some, it is already a daily routine, and for others, the term has never been encountered. This article explains the basic features and uses of the VPN service. We also compare the most popular free VPNs.
The essence of VPN tool
VPN is a technology that allows you to combine computer devices into secure networks to provide their users with an encrypted channel and anonymous access to resources on the Internet.
The main reasons to install VPN by ordinary Internet users include:
- the site is blocked by the provider, and you need to log in;
- often have to use online banking and payment systems and want to protect data from possible theft;
- the service works only for Europe, and you are in Russia and do not mind listening to music on LastFm;
- you want the sites you visit not to track your data;
- there is no router, but it is possible to connect two computers to a local network to provide both with Internet access.
Top rated free VPN services
Why should we pay when there are so many free VPNs on the Internet that change your IP address and allow you to access blocked resources? It is not so simple. Finding a free, reliable VPN service is a difficult task. 90% of free VPNs have hidden fees or keep logs online. That 10%, who cares about the anonymity of their users and are absolutely free, limit your traffic and significantly reduce the site loading speed. So, here is a rating of the best free VPNs:
- me. As part of the tariff, users get 10 GB of traffic per month, access to 5 countries, and an active connection from just 1 device linked to the account. When switching to a paid subscription, you get access to watching American Netflix, split tunneling of connections, and round-the-clock support.
- TunnelBear is a high-quality and reliable free application. It has a convenient and intuitive interface. The VPN provider’s servers are located in over 22 countries and it is committed to your security and anonymity.
- Hotspot Shield is a free VPN service that guarantees you an acceptable speed. The hotspot supports all operating systems and offers excellent technical support. You can access streaming sites and other geo-blocked content. The disadvantages of Hotspot Shield include limiting the choice of servers, the ability to install VPN on only one device. Traffic limitation of 500 MB / day.
- ProtonVPN is a Swiss high-speed security-oriented VPN. Due to the fact that the head office is located in Switzerland, all the highest security standards are maintained, data about your activity is not stored, but integrated with the Tor network.
- With this service, you can block ads and malware by specially designed ROBERT mode for this VPN service. The cons of the free version of Windscribe VPN, in addition to limiting traffic, are the reduced number of servers to connect. You can only use 10 servers out of 50 possible. In addition, you can receive an additional gigabyte whenever you can convince one of your friends to register on your referral link.